Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Meds and Mexican Food

Friday -- Day 2
On the second day of my Tucson travels, I woke up to howling dogs (my aunt has a slew of them!) and the worst sinus pain I think I've ever felt in my life. Not to mention my nose was running, and I was sneezing so much everyone was getting sick of saying, "bless you." Ha! I thought a cup of tea might tame the congestion a bit, so that was my breakfast.



Do you have one of these? I don't, but I definitely want one now! This electric tea kettle heated up water in no time. If it wasn't my aunt's, I might have snuck it in my suitcase. :)



Ah, comfort! This chai spice black tea didn't even need sugar it was so good!

None of us were really hankering for food just yet, so we got ready and headed to look for a med clinic for sickly me. Luckily, CVS had what they call a "minute clinic," and I got in to see a nurse practitioner and out with a prescription to treat my sinus infection in about 20 minutes. Who needs a doctor's office with that kind of service? :)

It was nearing lunchtime at this point, and what could be better to open the sinuses than some spicy Mexican food? We went to a restaurant called La Parilla Suiza, where we were promptly given a couple of baskets of chips and three kinds of salsa.



The green one was my fav!




I counted out a serving of chips and put them on a plate. It helps me from constantly dipping my hand into the basket and eating the whole thing!

I ordered shrimp tacos for my meal.




These babies were delicious! They didn't even need a dollop of sour cream. I ate every bite of them, but left all the rice and half the beans (subbed for the coleslaw). Most of the chips I counted out stayed on the plate too. I was full, but not stuffed, which is unusual for me when it comes to Mexican fare! Does that count as a small victory? :)

After lunch, my aunt took us to an upscale shopping area that made my mouth drop open. Tiffany's, Bebe, Crate & Barrel...and one of my favorites, a full-on Mac makeup store. Not a counter in a mall, but an actual venue filled with all kinds of fun (and expensive) face wear. I was giddy -- I LOVE makeup. Almost as much as I love shoes and handbags. What can I say -- I'm definitely not a tomboy! So, one of the sales girls helped me pick out some shadows that would bring out blue eyes. She even offered to give me a mini makeover, which of course I excitedly agreed to. I loved, loved the brown palette she picked out, and added a grayish/purple shade to the mix.



Before she talked me into chocolate liner and neutral lip gloss, we headed back to my aunt's house and made a quick and healthy dinner: salad, sauteed scallops and shrimp and leftover veggies. I noshed on cucumber wedges and a glob of jalapeno and cilantro hummus while everything was cooking.







And the perfect end to a great day?


Pure bliss!

Keep an eye out for tomorrow's post -- it's all about my cousin's Halloween wedding! The cake alone is worth reading about! Good night. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment