Monday, November 9, 2009

Meg Makes It on Monday: Pizza bake

I love pizza -- the gooey cheese, the endless array of toppings, the buttery crust. My, oh delicious my! But, I have looked up the Weight Watchers points values for my favorite pie -- pepperoni, extra cheese, mushrooms and black olives on regular crust, and let me tell you, the fat and calories ain't pretty! Ha Ha! So, with a few odds and ends from my kitchen, I came up with a recipe that to me, tastes a lot like one of my favorite Italian indulgences, sans crust. And I don't feel like a big grease ball is slugging along, only to finally settle on my hips. :)



Here's what I used (minus those browning bananas in the background. Ha!): Leftover Prego Heart Smart spaghetti sauce, Hormel turkey pepperoni, provolone cheese, two yellow squash, three zucchini and an onion. Of course, you can make this your own with different kinds of cheese, veggies and protein. Tofu crumbles, maybe?



Chop your veggies



Oh onion, you make me weepy!


Throw all the veggies in a pan and cook over medium heat until they look like this:



The husband wanted to make his side of the casserole dish a bit "manlier," so he added leftover organic noodles and a few meatballs. :) My part looks a little nakey!




Not anymore -- pour on those steamy veggies!


Add sauce (about 3 cups) and smooth with spoon




Layer with pepperoni





Cheese, please! We used six slices for the whole casserole


About 25-30 minutes in a 350-degree oven, and ta da:


Now that's amore!

A square about the size of one cheese round (a little over a cup) is 6 points. I did count and measure all my ingredients though, so it may vary a bit if you are a little more heavy-handed with the pepperoni and cheese. :) I did try a bite of the husband's noodle-laden side...it was really good too, if you have the extra cals to spend.

In other News...
  • I started Level 3 of Jillian Michaels Shred Challenge. My muscles are trembling just talking about it! Jumping jacks and butt kicks with weights?! I-N-S-A-N-E. I also walked two miles with JD and the pup, so that's 62 minutes of exercise for today!
  • Tomorrow, I'm going to see a nutritionist. I'm pretty pumped about it, and of course will share the full report. Hopefully, this gal can help me figure out a good plan to get this weight loss rolling. (Fingers crossed) Which means, I may be switching from Weight Watchers to something new -- we shall see.
  • We have several loads of laundry that need to go in the washer and dryer, and a cat who needs her medicine (we have scars from trying to give it to her the other day) so I better quit talking! :)
Have a great week!

2 comments: