Thursday, November 5, 2009

Nice day for a Halloween wedding

Saturday -- Day 3
I woke up bright and early (and feeling a lot better!) to another day of gorgeous weather -- perfect for an outdoor wedding! After a delicious breakfast of tea and an egg-white omelet with a little cheese and sliced orange pepper, (super proud of my flipping skills that morning!) we packed our stuff and get a head start on the 1-hour drive to East Tucson, where the wedding of my cousin, Ryan, and his lovely bride, Melissa, was soon to take place. The Hilton -- our digs for the night -- was elegant and tidy, and the beds were oh so heavenly! I'm still thinking about mine! :)

While we got ready for Ry and Mel's big day, the parents and I ordered some room service for lunch. Unfortunately we were so rushed, I didn't have time to take any pics, but my veggie wrap (think little chunks of squash, zucchini, and carrots, plus lettuce and tomato) and fruit salad was to.die.for. Nom, nom....

A lot of the family was already downstairs by the time we got ready, and our transportation to the wedding site soon showed up -- a yellow school bus! What a flashback to the days of chasing after one when habitually late me missed it by a block just about every morning my freshman year. My sister even bought me an alarm clock after my dad got mad at me for missing it for the bazillionth time one day. Ha Ha! I digress...

The ceremony was unique and beautiful. Ryan walked down to Justin Timberlake's "Sexy Back," and the groomsmen (donning soccer jerseys under their tux jackets since Mel and Ry met through a soccer league) strutted down the aisle to the theme song from Star Wars. It may sound weird, but it truly was perfect and made everyone laugh! And in true Halloween fashion, the sweet flower girl was dressed in a bunny costume -- too cute!







Kind of far away (I'm working on my picture taking skills...bear with me!) but I love the soccer ball! :)

After the ceremony, a beautiful table of appetizers was set out, but I was still pretty full from my wrap. I did, however, take advantage of the open bar with a couple of glasses of red. Wine and weddings seem to go hand in hand!

The reception hall looked fab in fall colors, and I loved the centerpieces.


Halloween candy, anyone? I skipped these too, which I think shows good progress. The old me would have gobbled up all those Hershey kisses even if I wasn't hungry.

Dinner was two kinds of pasta, breadsticks and grilled veggies. I ate it all, even though I should have left at least some on my plate. But it was too good to portion out! (And sorry for the lack of pics -- I was busy gabbing with family) Oh but the best part...


The CAKE!

This wasn't your usual white cake -- it was cuatro leches, which "begins with a vanilla sponge cake, coarser than American butter cakes but strong enough to hold up to the sauce of three milks poured over it. Then it is covered with a caramelized Swiss meringue and dotted with the arequipe or caramel sauce." (definition courtesy of Serious Eats) I have honestly never tasted a better dessert, but I still split my piece with my dad. If that isn't willpower, I don't know what is!

The rest of the evening was filled with dancing, visiting and maybe another glass or two of wine. :) It was fantastic!

Congratulations, Ryan and Mel! I wish you a lifetime of love and happiness!



Tomorrow's post will highlight my last day in Tucson. My uncle did something for my Aunt Teri, who is battling breast cancer, that was truly touching! Then it will be back to my usual blogging starting this weekend.

*My thoughts and prayers go out to the families who lost loved ones at Fort Hood today.
*

No comments:

Post a Comment